A Few of My Favorite Things

  • God and all that goes with Him
  • Time Spent With Family
  • Bedtime Prayers
  • Family/Group Hugs
  • The Beach
  • Good Friends
  • Good Music
  • Laughter

Saturday, June 4, 2011

God's Happy Meal

Have you ever noticed that for our children, if they're sad, hurt, or sick, or even celebrating a special occassion a "Happy Meal" seems to fit the bill. There's nothing like a hamburger, french fries, coke, and the toy of the week to fix whatever is ailing them at the time, or gives that extra boost to a celebration. A friend and I were discussing this not to long ago and she made the comment we need an adult happy meal, and I heartily agreed. She's had me thinking about this for almost two weeks...what would we put in our adult happy meal. Something special to help mend a broken heart, an ailing spirit, a body in pain or to celebrate the special moments of life.
Just like the Happy Meal for the kids, we need to have something to fill us up and quench our thirst. The Bible provides both of those needs...it is the bread of life and the living water (John 4). For me when it comes to facing pain on a consistent basis scriptures that deal with God's promises and encouragement are the most important part. This same sweet friend battles chronic pain herself and sent me the following list of verses. They have been the food in my "Happy Meal".
1. (Psalms 30:2 NKJV) O LORD my God, I cried out to You, And You healed me.
2. (Psalms 6:2 NKJV) Have mercy on me, O LORD, for I am weak; O LORD, heal me, for my bones are troubled.
3. (Psalms 107:20 NKJV) He sent His word and healed them, And delivered them from their destructions.
4. (Psalms 147:3 NKJV) He heals the brokenhearted And binds up their wounds.
5. (Proverbs 3:7-8 NKJV) Do not be wise in your own eyes; Fear the LORD and depart from evil. It will be health to your flesh, And strength to your bones.
6. (Jeremiah 17:14 NKJV) Heal me, O LORD, and I shall be healed; Save me, and I shall be saved, For You are my praise.
7. (Jeremiah 33:6 NKJV) 'Behold, I will bring it health and healing; I will heal them and reveal to them the abundance of peace and truth.
8. (Matthew 8:13 NKJV) Then Jesus said to the centurion, "Go your way; and as you have believed, so let it be done for you." And his servant was healed that same hour.
9. (Luke 8:48 NKJV) And He said to her, "Daughter, be of good cheer; your faith has made you well. Go in peace."
10. (Luke 6:19 NKJV) And the whole multitude sought to touch Him, for power went out from Him and healed them all.
I know this is just a sampling of what we can find to give us encouragement. My two favorite verses are:
Matt. 11:28-30 "Come to me,all you who are weary and burdened and I will give rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."
John 14:1-4 "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God,trust also in Me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so I would have told you. I am going to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you might also be where I am. You know the way to the place I am going.
But what is a Happy Meal without the toy surprise? (A cheaper all American meal :)) I'm so thankful that God puts a "prize" in his "happy meal"! Sometimes that prize is an unexpected phone call from a friend just out ofthe blue, it may be a kind word spoken or a good hug, it may be someone's thought for the day on their FB status, fellowship with fellow christians, or a song that touches the heart and uplifts the spirit.
So I'm thankful for God's "Happy Meal", that takes care of the spiritual needs I have. Now there are many times I think about physically what would my Adult Happy Meal contain...would the prize in the box be a ginger ale, some benadryl, or even some bengay :) I guess I still have some thinking to do about that one,but I know how blessed I am to know that God's food is always good and the prize is always the one I need the most. May God bless you with a wonderful Lord's day tomorrow. I hope heading to worship is the prize in your Happy Meal tomorrow and the joy of fellowship that comes with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment