A Few of My Favorite Things

  • God and all that goes with Him
  • Time Spent With Family
  • Bedtime Prayers
  • Family/Group Hugs
  • The Beach
  • Good Friends
  • Good Music
  • Laughter

Monday, December 10, 2012

Marriage Lessons From Duck Dynasty



O.K., I admit it, I’m a huge Duck Dynasty fan. I actually watched the first episode when it started and was hooked from the beginning. I absolutely love that I can allow my little man to stay up and watch it and not have to worry about ugly words or crude humor. My sweetheart may not be the biggest fan, but he enjoys watching me and little man laugh and laugh at the antics of the bearded Robertsons and their wives.
But I really wanted to concentrate on what I’ve learned from watching Phil and Miss Kay about marriage. I love the twinkle they both have in their eyes when they talk to each.
1) When you put God first everything else falls into place. This couple shows us every week that God is number one. They pray and they place value on knowing the Bible.
2) They find ways to make each other happy, happy, happy. Miss Kay’s going to cook Phil’s favorite dishes (he’s gonna brag on her cookin’). Phil gets out and works the land and keeps it beaver free. They find ways to say, I love you, even in the little things.
3) They spend time together as a couple and as a family. One of my favorite episodes is when Phil and Miss Kay go out in the boat log hunting. After 50 years of marriage, she can still say she just loves being with him. He’s figured out that she just wants him to listen to all her remember whens, and his yep, yeah, and yes works just fine for her. I love watching how they both have their own “domain” and they respect each other’s space.
4) They back one another up. In an episode where Jase borrowed his daddy’s boat to go craw fishing, Miss Kay came out to check if he’d asked his daddy. I loved it. Here he is a grown man and Miss Kay is still making sure her boys are following the rules. I also loved that when the boys sank the boat, they didn’t look forward to coming home and telling either one of them about it.
5) Keep the romance and the spice in your marriage. When Uncle Si and the girls made her the apron I loved the two thumbs up Phil gave it and the flirting going back and forth. In a successful marriage, flirting and courting need to go on for a lifetime.
I love finding a reality show that makes me laugh and laugh with no foul language (except of course for the fowl language that comes with making duck calls) and promotes strong family values. They are helping us to remember what the wise man Solomon said:
Pro 5:15 Drink water from your own cistern, And running water from your own well.
:16 Should your fountains be dispersed abroad, Streams of water in the streets?
17 Let them be only your own, And not for strangers with you.
:18 Let your fountain be blessed, And rejoice with the wife of your youth.
:19 As a loving deer and a graceful doe, Let her breasts satisfy you at all times; And always be enraptured with her love.

No comments:

Post a Comment